Hip Pain

Hip Pain Specialist Questions and Answers

If you have persistent hip pain, then it’s a sign to visit a doctor. Dr. Philip Stickney, M.D. and Dr. Brad Picha, M.D. can provide comprehensive pain treatments to help you get relief.

Hip Pain Specialist Near Me in Medina, OH
Hip Pain Specialist Near Me in Medina, OH

Hip pain can affect one or both hips and can cause great discomfort while walking, running or exercising. The most common causes of hip pain are rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis and is most prevalent in elderly people. Although it is most common in older adults, hip pain can affect anyone.

What are common hip injuries?

Hip injuries are common afflictions and can range from mild, requiring little intervention, to severe, requiring major intervention, such as hip replacement or repair surgery. These include:

  • Hip bursitis
  • Contusions (hip pointer)
  • Hip labral tear
  • Osteitis pubis
  • Sports hernias
  • Snapping hip syndrome
  • Hip arthritis
  • Low back strain

When should I see an orthopedic surgeon for hip pain?

If you experience any of the following symptoms, it is recommended that you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon as soon as you possible:

  • Swollen hip
  • Pain when moving leg
  • Hip joint looks deformed
  • Severe hip pain
  • Popping sound was heard after falling
  • Hip pain keeps you from sleeping
  • Pain causes a limp
  • Over-the-counter medications no longer provide relief for pain
  • Hip pain that last for more than two weeks

These symptoms may be indicative of a serious problem that requires specialized orthopedic care.

What are some signs that hip pain may be serious?

While most hip pain is minor and heals on its own, there are indications that hip pain may be the cause of something more serious, including:

  • A joint that appears deformed
  • Inability to move your leg or hip
  • Inability to bear weight on the affected leg
  • Intense pain
  • Sudden swelling
  • Any signs of infection (fever, chills, redness)

Do I need a referral to see an orthopedic surgeon for hip pain?

While most primary care physicians can treat minor cases of hip pain, they may refer you to an orthopedic specialist if you required specialized care. Cases that require specialized care include swelling, discoloration, limited range of motion, inability to perform normal, everyday tasks, pain that causes limited mobility and any pain that prevents you from sleeping. Additionally, if you are exhibiting any signs of infection, such as fever, chills or stiff neck, visit the emergency room immediately. If you are experiencing any one of these symptoms, you should have your hip pain evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon right away. They will be able to diagnose the cause of your hip pain and create an appropriate plan of treatment that will work best for your condition. Orthopedic surgeons are experts in treating the musculoskeletal system and can effectively evaluate, diagnose and treat a vast amount of injuries affecting the muscles, bones, tendons, ligaments and cartilage. They can also help implement strategies to prevent injuries in the future.

If you or someone you know is experiencing recurrent or chronic hip pain that is negatively affecting their quality of life, come to The Spine and Orthopedic Institute at St. Vincent Charity for treatment today. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating hip pain and can employ a wide number of therapies and procedures to treat hip pain. For more information on our hip pain treatments and how they can benefit you, call our office and get in touch with a member of our specialist team. To book an appointment with our hip pain specialist, visit our website or speak with us over the phone today. We serve patients from Medina OH, Middleburg Heights OH, Akron OH, Parma OH, and Wellington OH.

Hip Pain In Medina Ohio